Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Cold Feet

I started my Children’s Writing class today, and after the first lesson, began to question my rationale for taking the class. Yes, I have a goal to write a Children’s book on virtues for my grandkids (not a preaching kind – a story that illustrates the meaning of the word). But somehow, today, I got lost in wishy-washy.

So, I spent most of the afternoon at the library in the children’s section wandering the shelves, sometimes crawling on my hands and knees, and sometimes sitting on the floor, to read a bit from any book that caught my attention. It was comforting to see the books I devoured in my youth: Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden, Sue Barton Student Nurse, to mention a few. "The Black Stallion" leapt out at me, and I couldn’t help picking up an illustrated Grimm’s Fairy Tale book, and perusing a few of the classic stories.

I reread “Make Way for Ducklings”, and then spotted “The Secret Garden”. I had never read this "must read" book, so I sat down on one of the bitty children’s chairs to skim it, and an hour later was still reading it.

Suddenly the room was full of toddlers and moms for Story-Time. I relinquished my chair and stood in the back to watch. There was noise, chaos, and much shuffling until the librarian began to read. Most of the kids quieted down to listen. I watched their faces as they became involved with the story, and I was reminded of why I wanted to write my children’s story. I want to create the look and generate the interest I saw in their eyes. My afternoon at the library was a success. I’m back on track now, to make the most of the next six weeks of my class.

Copyright Parrot Writes 2010

7 comments:

  1. That is wonderful PW.

    We must not let those inner critics stand in our way. Sometimes the path is lined with jagged rocks and thistles, but the end reward of fulfilling our dreams is well worth the traversing a little rough terrain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the bump in the road was there. I hope I am up to this challenge, and am ready to work towards it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first lesson of any class will contain a lot of wishy-washy. Keep on truckin' and it should get better.
    I'm excited for my class, it's been a while since my last class.
    I think I needed to be reminded that we all get the blank page phobia once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments - I hope your class will be challenging and help you to grow. I'm going to give it my all, and see what comes out of my pen. Best of luck to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great! A wonderful reminder to look at the big picture and realize why it was we started our quests in the first place. It can be so frusturating when you stuck in the middle. I can't wait to see where you go with your stories!
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I (obviously) was a big fan of Nancy Drew, also Trixie Belden.

    I went to a really awful rural elementary school but I remember Miss Meeker reading out loud to us every day after lunch. For me it was the highlight of the day, of my whole elementary school experience. I still remember her reading The Secret Garden to us and how ordinary life slipped away so easily as we slipped into that other world. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know why I had never read "The Secret Garden" as a child, but I truely enjoyed it as an adult. I'm glad I could bring back positive childhood memories for you!

    ReplyDelete