Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Yep, I'm A Rebel



I just read the rules for NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month.) I had planned to add 50,000 words to my last year’s winning project (see shiny badge to the right.) Even though I completed over 50,000 words last year, the story isn’t finished. I was looking forward to using the focused writing time this November to complete it.

But, the rules say you have to start over each year. From scratch. Bummer. Bummer.

BUT WAIT! 

There’s a Rebel Group forming and we even have our own Forum section. It seems there are many writers working on projects that are outside the boundaries. And we're being wholeheartedly embraced. After all, the purpose of NaNoWriMo is the self-challenge. The REAL prize is the accomplishment, and the new manuscript at the end.

So, I’ll embrace my Rebel Status for the month of November, and continue to flesh out (thanks, Gully :( ) my characters and add to the mystery/romance of my WIP (work in progress.)

I’m kinda likin’ it. Never been a rebel before….

9 comments:

  1. I'm real proud of ya, Linda. As long as you write 50,000 words, I can't see anything wrong with continuing something you already started. I would have encouraged you to do it even if I hadn't heard about the Rebel Group.

    Have a blast, my friend!!

    Love,
    Shaddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks,Shaddy! Are you going to join the November writing fray?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you call your computer "The General Lee"?

    You go girl, finish that novel so I can say "I knew her when..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! I've pretty much always been a rebel so I say welcome!

    If I sign up for NaNo (and I'm not sure yet if I will) it will be to work on improving existing drafts. I have a bunch of other things going on in my life so we'll see...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Walk,
    I hadn't thought of naming my computer, but that's a good idea! "The General" has an appropriate ring to it.

    Natasha,
    Thanks for the welcome! I'll learn from the master rebel. Hope things calm down for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being indecisive is one of my "strengths!" Thus, I haven't made a final decision yet. It would be an adventure alright. Last year I pulled a plot out of a hat on November 1st and surprisingly wrote something I'm halfway proud of!

    Thanks for asking. Time will tell (as it's running out rather quickly!!!!)

    Love,
    Shaddy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once upon a time in the Paleolithic age, I wrote a story for the newspaper church page about a group of church members getting together for a SING-spiration. However, I had a typo--I left the "g" off sing, and it was printed as "SIN-spiration." With that in mind, so back to your next to last paragraph. Did you really mean FLUSH out your characters, or FLESH out... Whatever, it's ever so much more fun as FLUSH OUT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW. This is the first time in forever that I've been able to leave comments here. Different computer, different server--the secret's in there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gully - HA HA! Yep, I'm flushing 'em out alright! It's what rebels do, don't cha' know. Glad to hear from you finally! Great catch - went right by me. :)

    ReplyDelete